Benefits of Whiteweed/Ageratum Conyzoides – Incredible Health Benefits, Uses, Side Effects
The world is filled with a huge number (about 2,50,000) of plant species. And among them almost 80,000 species are medicinal. The uses of these medicinal plants are based on folk beliefs continuing since ages. ‘White weed’ is one of these kinds of medicinal herbs. From early times, the uses and benefits of Whiteweed has been seen as medicine for the treatment of many types of disease.
What is Whiteweed?
Whiteweed is an annual medicinal herb. The herbal plant belongs to a Conyzoides species and Asteraceae family. This plant has a long history of being used as a medicine in traditional medical treatments. This plant develops in any garden, agricultural land, grassland, forest, wasteland, roadside, wetlands, coastal mounds and degraded pasture areas; especially in damp areas with high air moisture and minerals.
Where is it found?
This plant is native to areas from Southeastern North America to Central America. But now, the plant is mostly found in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, Florida, Brazil, India and many other tropical and subtropical countries.
Whiteweed is a vertical, aromatic, thin annual herb. It grows up to the height of 15-100cm. The plant has vein-rich roots. Its leaves are positioned facing in opposite sides, 20-100mm long, 5-50mm wide and hairy, petioles of 5-75mm long. Smashing the leaves of this plant releases a goat-like smell. The tips of the flowers of this plant are of blue, white or purple in color. The flowers are 1.5-3mm long and rarely appear up the bract. The plant blossoms in the term of July to September.
Whiteweed is considered as the traditional medicinal plant of many countries. The benefits of whiteweed are seen in case of Fever, Rheumatism, Headache, Hair fall, Eye problem, Uterine disorder, Pneumonia etc.
This plant has been used as a traditional herbal plant in Kenya for its Anti asthmatic, Antispasmodic, Haemostatic effects.
White weed contains 0.7-2% of essential oils, Alkaloid and saponin. This plant is rich with Anti-inflammatory and Anti-allergic properties.
Major elements of whiteweed/Ageratum Conyzoides
- Anti diarrheal
Various lingual names of Whiteweed
- Hindi : Jungli Pudina, Visadodi, Semandulu, Ghabuti, Bhakumbar
- Sanskrit : Visamustil
- Marathi : Ghanera Osaadi
- Kannada : Ooralagida, Helukasa, Shweta shadevi
- Tamil : Pumpillu, Appakkoti
- Malayalam : Kuttapa, Muriyan pacca
- Bengali : Chunti
- Nepali : Bheda Jhaar, Boko Ghaans
- Other Common name : Ageratum, Appa grass, Bastard Agrimony, Billygoat- weed, Blue top, Chick weed, Cocks stick plant, Conyzoides Floss flower, Floss flower, Goat weed, Mother Brinkley, Tropic Ageratum, Winter Weed.
Scientific Classification of Whiteweed/Ageratum Conyzoides
- Kingdom : Plantae
- Clade : Tracheophytes
- Clade : Angiosperms
- Clade : Eudicots
- Clade : Asterids
- Order : Asterales
- Family : Asteraceae
- Genus : Ageratum
- Species : A. Conyzoides
- Scientific name : Ageratum Conyzoides
Uses and Benefits of Whiteweed/Ageratum Conyzoides
- For the benefits of whiteweed, it is used in the form of infusion or tonic to treat throat ache, digestive tract stone etc.
- To decrease body temperature white weed is used in the form of infusion.
- White weed is beneficial for treating itching problems on skin. For this, white weed leaves juice mixed with water consumed.
- In case of wounds. Leaves of this plant are crushed and applied on the affected portion to heal it. This cures the wounded skin.
- whiteweed is anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic. The fresh juice or the dry extraction of this plant is used to treat Allergic rhinitis and Sinusitis.
- To treat post-delivery bleeding white weed is used. The juice of this pant is used in this matter.
- The juice of this plant is Antilithic. To treat dislocated bone, the freshly extracted juice of the roots of whiteweed mixed with Schinus Wallichii is applied on the area affected.
- To treat cuts, wounds; the extract of whiteweed is beneficial.
- For skin problems like- pimple whiteweed is beneficial.
- In case of snake bite; freshly pasted white weed leaves mixed with the same quantity of Bidens pilosa, Drymaria cordata, Galinsoga parviflora and Rhizome of Zinggiber Officinale is applied on the snake bite area
- For scabies; the juice extracted from the flower tip of whiteweed is used externally. On other hand this is also used in the treatment of Rheumatism.
- To treat cold; drink tea made of whiteweed flower and tulsi. It will help to get relief.
- The benefits of whiteweed are also seen in the case of hair. You can use white weed plant juice to wash the hair. It will promote long, thick, aromatic and dandruff free hair.
- Whiteweed is traditionally used as medicine for mental disease, infections, headache, Dyspnoea, Enterlagia, fever etc.
- Whiteweed is also beneficial for asthma; juice of this plant is used in this matter. The white blossomed plant type of white weed is beneficial for toothache. Leaves of this plant are used to treat toothache.
- To treat diarrhea among children white weed is used.
- White weed is also beneficial for chronic diarrhea.
- In case of stomach dysfunction; each part of white weed plant can be used as decoction to get relief.
- To control high blood pressure; white weed is used. The decoction made from this plant is effective in this case.
- To treat Otitis media whiteweed is beneficial. The juice of this plant is applied on the ear externally.
- Whiteweed acts like a resistor to malaria and also helps in the treatment of Jaundice.
- For constipation white weed is useful.
- The leaves of white weed are used externally to treat Aspartylglucosaminuria (AGU).
- In menstrual cramp, white weed leaves are beneficial.
- In Nigeria, whiteweed decoction was used to treat Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).
- White weed leaf juice is beneficial in case of Headache, Rib Pain, Intercostal Pain, Body Side Pain, Arthritis, Macerates etc.
Note: Though the herb is beneficial in many health issues, please consult your doctor before using the herb as medicine (especially if you are suffering from any serious disease or health condition.)
How to use Whiteweed/Ageratum Conyzoides?
Every portion of whiteweed plants can be used for medicinal purposes. Its stems, leaves, flowers and even roots have medicinal properties. The plant is used in the form of decoction, juice, infusion, dry extraction to consume or to apply externally.
List of Jungali Pudina Products
- Jungli Pudina Powder
- Jungli Pudina Leaves
- Jungli Pudina Oil
- Jungli Pudina Tea
- Jungli Pudina Natural Tablets
Side effects of Whiteweed/Ageratum Conyzoides
- Consuming white weed may lead to liver problems and tumors.
- In Ethiopia, a mass infection case came to light due to crop contamination in effect of white weed.
- White weed contains Pyrrolizidine alkaloids lycopsamine and ehinatine, which can be harmful for the human body in some cases.
Note: Excessive use of any natural product even if it is a herb or medicine; can do damage to the body. Therefore, it is suggested to notice the benefits of whiteweed and its other sides/ effects on the human body as mentioned in the article above. After that, use the herb wisely in a limited quantity to gain its advantages. And always consult with your doctor or specialist before using the herb as medicine if you are suffering from any special health condition.
Till now, you must have come to know about whiteweed. Its medicinal properties, healthy elements it contains, benefits, and side effects. We hope the information included in the above article will help you with various health conditions. Thank You!