Benefits of Black Pepper – 13 Amazing Health Benefits, Uses, Side Effects
The world is filled with a huge number (about 2,50,000) of plant species. And among them almost 80,000 species are medicinal. The uses of these medicinal plants are based on folk beliefs continuing since ages. Black Pepper is one of these kinds of medicinal spices. From early times, the benefits of Black Pepper have been witnessed for medicinal use and treatments of various diseases or health problems.
What is ‘Black Pepper’/Piper Nigrum?
Black Pepper is a vine plant full of medicinal properties. The fruits of the plant are clustered and grow in bunches. The leaves are similar to the Pipli and Betel leaves. The fruit of this plant are round in shape and green in color. The color of the fruit becomes black when it ripens. These fruits have hot-spicy tastes. The western ghat mountain region of India produces the 50-60% of black pepper of the total production worldwide. Black pepper has more than 100 species of it. The difference among these species can be recognized by their appearance; such as- shape and size of the fruit, leaves and flower. Karimunda, Kottandan, Lilamund, Kollaveli, Peniur 1, Peniur 2, Peniur 4, Sricara, Panchami, Purnima etc are the most productive species of all. Kerala is the highest producer of black pepper in India. Spice is used widely in almost all countries of the world. It is also cultivated in a large amount as a cash crop, also grown in household kitchen gardens. Moreover, this spice plant can be seen growing in wastelands also.
Being possessed with many health-beneficial properties, the spice can prevent many health issues or diseases. Black pepper contains – Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Keratin and Antioxidant; which improves the body’s immunity system. Because of this, we can see the benefits of black pepper in staying safe from a lethal disease like cancer. In the case of digestion also spice plays a remarkable role. The Piperin element present in Black pepper fights against acidity, diarrhea, indigestion etc. The nutrition that this particular spice holds can help in weight loss. Along with the weight loss process, this spice also cuts off the extra fat that our body stores and toxins produced within the body. It can also relieve Gastric problems.
Black Pepper is a unique spice containing various medicinal properties. It is used to make a variety of Ayurvedic medicines. Ayurveda mentions that chewing raw black pepper improves vocal cords resulting in a good quality voice. In this context, Ayurvedic doctors say that Black pepper helps in keeping the body channels (Micro & Macro) clean.
Apart from its medicinal uses, Black Pepper is a popular spice widely used in many dishes to enhance the taste. Ex- vegetarian and non-vegetarian; in both kinds of recipes black pepper can do magic. In addition, consuming black pepper tea can relieve health problems like – irritating/itching throat, cold-cough etc.
The Scientific name of Black Pepper is – Piper nigrum L.
Scientific classification of Black Pepper/Piper Nigrum
- Kingdom : Plantae
- Clade : Tracheophytes
- Clade : Angiosperms
- Clade : Magnoliids
- Order : Piperales
- Family : Piperaceae
- Genus : Piper
- Species : P. nigrum
- Scientific name : Piper Nigrum
Health Benefits of Black Pepper
- When any blister appears on the skin, apply black pepper powder around it to cure the problem.
- The benefits of Black Pepper are seen in relieving health issues like- body pain. In this matter, you can eat black pepper powder with Bhedailata (Skunk vine) leaf or root juice twice a day for 3 to 4 days. It will help dealing with the problem.
- Black Pepper is one of the best remedies to get relief from fever. You can also eat tea made with black pepper and tulsi leaf.
- Black Pepper is beneficial for Pneumonia, cold-cough, flu, respiratory diseases etc. If any of these shows on the body consume 1 spoon of honey with powdered black pepper. This will help in this matter.
- The benefits of Black Pepper are also witnessed in headaches. Make a tiny hole in a black pepper and let it burn with the help of candle flame and inhale the smoke it releases. It may cure your headache.
- Black pepper also helps in controlling blood pressure. People with blood pressure problems should take 15-20 raisins with 4-5 black pepper twice or thrice a day.
- It also helps to improve vision and eye health. Regular consumption of 1 spoon of black pepper with clarified butter (Ghee) in morning and evening.
- One of the best benefits of Black Pepper is weight loss. Increase the amount of black pepper in your diet to lose body weight.
- Black pepper also acts like a deterrent to stomach worms in children. Give them powdered black pepper mixed with a little amount of salt to consume. It will help to relieve the problem.
- People suffering from bile disease for a long time also face the excess gastric problem resulting in chest pain and headache. In this case, take 3-4 black pepper in powdered form added in 300gm of milk twice a day for 5 to 6 days to cure the problem.
- People suffering from Frangities can take 2-3 black pepper in powdered form with the juice of 2 manisal seed’s peels and mix them in a cup of lukewarm water after having dinner. Consume 1 spoon of the mix for 2 to 3 days. By doing this, the benefits of medicinal properties of Black Pepper can be seen.
- Black Pepper is beneficial for Asthma. Prepare a mix of a little amount of black pepper powder, roots of Punarnava plant (Ponounoa) and lukewarm water. Consume the mix twice a day for 8 to 9 days. It may relieve the problem.
- Black pepper- a spice with an interesting taste can cure gastric problems. The spice is beneficial for the liver.
How to use Black Pepper/Piper Nigrum?
- In case of itching in the body, apply 4-5 black pepper in powdered form with clarified butter (Ghee). Doing this will cure the problem.
- Make and drink tea made with black pepper and basil (tulsi), it helps treat fever.
- Make a poultice/paste of wood apple juice and black pepper powder and apply it around the blister. It dries the area and cures the skin. Repeat the process for 3 to 4 days.
- In the case of tonsils, make a soup of black Arum Spinach with 4-5 black pepper powder. It will help in this matter.
- In case of body pain, consume skunk vine juice with black pepper powder twice a day for 3 to 4 days.
- In the kitchen, black pepper plays an important role in enhancing food taste.
- With 300gm of milk add 3-5 black pepper powder and consume this for 5 to 6 days to cure chest pain and headache.
- Mix 3 to 4 black pepper powder with 1 spoon of honey and consume this thrice a day for 3 to 4 days to cure pneumonia, flu, cold cough and respiratory diseases.
Side Effects of Black Pepper/Piper Nigrum
In spite of having many beneficial properties, Black Pepper can do damage to health if taken in an uncontrolled amount and way.
- Taking an excess amount of black pepper can lead to inflammation in the stomach, dysentery and other diseases or health issues related to the stomach.
- Excess amount of black pepper can result in skin irritation and inflammation, redness in skin.
Thus, black pepper should be used in a limited amount and wisely to take its advantage.
In the above article, you must have come to know about the medicinal spice Black Pepper. The article includes information about the nutrition the spice contains, its uses, benefits, and side effects of Black Pepper. We hope the information this article gives you helps you in various ways. Thank you!