Role of Aloe Vera – Incredible Benefits of Aloe Vera In Our Health, Uses, Side Effects
Aloe vera is a medicinal plant commonly used to decorate houses and gardens worldwide. In Assam, the plant is known as ‘Salkunwari’. Usually, the plant can grow up to the height of 2-3 feet. The leaves of this plant are of thorn-shaped, fleshy, thick and flat, green in color. The leaves have spikes on the sides. Generally, the plant is grown in pots under small garden-type areas. Aloe vera can be found in all parts of Assam.
Scientific Classification of Aloe Vera
- Kingdom : Plantae
- Phyllum : Angiospermae
- Order : Asparagales
- Family : Asphodelaceae
- Genus : Aloe
- Species : barbadensis
- Scientific name : Aloe barbadensis
Distribution and Cultivation Process of Aloe vera
History of Aloe vera
Aloe vera was found naturally in old times, but now it is easily available in gardens as a gardening plant. Aloe vera plants were found naturally in the Arabian southern hemisphere, East Africa, Capodave, Madeira Island and neighboring countries. Later, the plant was carried to China and other parts of the world.
Aloe Vera plants are propagated from both flowers and seeds, although they are not used in traditional farming methods. They are usually cultivated by vegetative propagation. Regions with hot climate and heavy rainfall are suitable for Aloe Vera cultivation. The cultivation is more or less good in all soils though it is more productive in well-drained soils. The roots can be transplanted from one place to another to relocate the plant. The land should be well ploughed 2-3 times to prepare a bed for the Aloe vera plantation. 1hactre of land can hold about 1thousand roots of aloe vera. The plant should be planted in 90*90cm (length*width) distance. Aloe vera cultivation can be done in two seasons of the year- June-July and September-October. Generally Aloe vera is a low maintenance plant that doesn’t need pest management due to its high resistance towards insects. Still, 3okg of nitrogen can be used in per hectare of land to increase its productivity. Per hectare of cultivated land can produce up to 15 tons of Aloe vera leaves.
Aloe vera production in house gardens
The above-mentioned processes are generally used in high production areas. For domestic use, Aloe vera plants are planted in pots or pot-like small areas. It is grown easily when planted in pots with the right proportioned mixture of sand, soil and water. It can easily survive in all types of environments. Therefore, it can be planted and kept in both shady and sunny areas.
Chemical Elements presents in Aloe Vera
Aloe vera leaves are used to make medicine and cosmetic products. The leaves of this plant are usually collected and upper skin of the conical leaf is cut off to extract the gel-type product from it; which is used to make various products. There are various health necessary and beneficial elements found in Aloe Vera. They are – 12 types of Vitamins, 18 types of Amino Acid, 20 types of Mineral, 75 types of Nutrient substance. Moreover, the plant also possesses Antibiotic, Antiseptics and Antioxidant properties. This plant also contains various enzyme such as; Alkaline, Phosphatase, Amylase etc. Aloe Vera juice holds about 12 types of Anthraquinone substance, among which Alloin and Imodin are antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral.
Medicinal Qualities of Aloe Vera
Role of Aloe vera are mentioned below
- There is an beneficial role of Aloe vera gel in removing pimples from skin. The gel can be applied directly on pimple or can be use to apply mixing it with honey, which may give you better result.
- Aloe vera juice or gel is used to get soft glowing skin. For this, you can mix aloe gel with a little amount of turmeric, honey, milk and rose water and apply it on skin.
- Aloe vera has Proteolytic Enzyme which rejuvenates the dead hair follicles on scalp. The main protein element of hair is Keratin. Aloe vera contains a keratin-like substance which makes hair rejuvenated, fresh, soft and prevents hair fall.
- The role of Aloe vera juice in preventing various stomach related problems such as; tumor, ulcer, bile etc. are seen.
- Benefits of aloe vera can be obtained in case of stomach worm issue in children by consuming its fresh juice.
- There is an important role of Aloe vera in treating liver diseases. You can simply add some salt and ginger in aloe vera juice and consume it. This will show positive results in this matter.
- In cold – coughs, aloe vera juice mixed with honey is effectively beneficial.
- Aloe vera has antioxidant property for which it plays an important role in keeping away various health issues due to ageing. For heart disease and diabetes Aloe vera juice is beneficial. Be careful while consuming homemade aloe vera juice.
- Aloe vera salad can provide some relief in indigestion, upset stomach, stomach ailment.
- Aloe vera can be used to heal burnt skin and skin harmed due to accident.
- The role of Aloe vera in extracting the nutrients from the food we consume is notable. It also helps the body to balance its weight.
- Aloe vera is useful in removing the stone-like tension accumulated in gums. It is produced in the mouth by a variety of bacteria called Streptococcus Mutans and Candida albicans. Aloe vera can destroy both these germs.
- Aloe vera improves the body immune system as it has high amount of antioxidants. It strengthens body muscles, provides body strength. You must consume aloe vera for a long time to gain these benefits.
How to Use Aloe Vera
- You can make aloe vera juice in home or you can buy aloe products already available in markets. Be careful while buying market products, as a low quality product may cause damage to the health. Prefer using Aloe products made with natural and scientific process.
- You can use easily available Aloe vera juice in markets. The amount of use and the process is mentioned in the package of the products.
- There is an easily availability of Aloe vera toothpaste, Aloe vera mouth freshner and aloe vera soup. These products are made with minimal use of chemical substance which makes it less harmful for health comparing to other same category products.
- Creams and face wash made from aloe vera are beneficial for our skin. It provides a healthy glowing skin.
List of Aloe Vera Products
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Aloe Vera Cream
- Aloe Vera Face Wash
- Aloe Vera Body Lotion
- Aloe Vera Oil
- Aloe Vera Shop
- Aloe Vera Juice
- Aloe Vera Baby Care
Side effects of Aloe vera
Although it has been said above that aloe vera juice is used for the treatment of various diseases, it is very important to take precautions in its quantity and preparation. Otherwise, there is a risk of harm. In most cases, scientifically prepared materials should be used. The following are some of its physical disadvantages of using:
- People having allergy from aloe vera should prohibit the use of any product made from aloe extract. Otherwise it may cause irritation, inflammation, skin redness etc. The Alloin and Barbillon substance present in it are the main reason for such issues. Thus, people having allergic problem should first consult a specialist before using it.
- Consuming aloe vera juice for a long time may cause colon cancer.
- Consuming aloevera juice in the period of pregnancy may cause uterus infection. Moreover, breastfeeding women may face stomach related problems from it.
- Aloe vera juice and Furosemide substance should not be consumed together, otherwise it may lead to lower level of potassium in body which results in decreased blood sugar levels.
- Direct application of Aloe vera juice or gel in cuts may do damage to the skin.
Aloe vera is one of the most popular elements used in cosmetics and medicines which are proven by the huge availability of various products containing aloe extract in it. Therefore, the cultivation and production along with the role of beneficial aloe vera in human body is considerably important.
The above article included the benefits, uses, elements along with the various role played by aloe vera in the human body. We hope the information is article provide helps you in various ways. Thank You!