Benefits of Black Cumin – Amazing Health Benefits, Uses, Side Effects
The world is filled with a huge number (about 2,50,000) of plant species. And among them almost 80,000 species are medicinal. The uses of these medicinal plants are based on folk beliefs continuing since ages. ‘Black Cumin’ is one of these kinds of medicinal spice. From early times, Black Cumin has been used as medicine for the treatment of many types of disease.
What is black Cumin?
Black Cumin is a spice filled with medicinal properties. It has been used since ancient times to treat various diseases. In household kitchens the spice has a very important role to play. The Black cumin plant grows up to 20-60cm (8-12 Inch). The leaves are divided and linear. Its flowers are subtle; all five petals are in light blue and white. Its fruits are Capsule shaped and have many seeds inside. These seeds are later called Black cumin. Annual production of this spice is less. This spice has been used for ages as medicine and also in kitchens as spice.
Black Cumin plant is usually found in South-west Asia, Mediterranean region and some parts of Africa. These regions have a really long history of using this spice in various ways. In India, Middle East and in some parts of North Africa the spice is prepared by sun-drying the raw black cumin seeds in open fields. It is widely used in authentic recipes like- Rice, Bread, Sweets etc.
In India, Black Cumin has been used for almost two thousand years. The spice acts as a resistor for various health issues such as; skin disease, physical and mental development in children, to stay healthy, indigestion problems, health development, liver problems, viruses, and bacteria. In the prevention of tumors and cancer also this spice shows its beneficial sides. It is also particularly beneficial in enhancing beauty, depression, the wakening of physical activity, and increasing brain strength and improving memory. Moreover, its benefits are also seen in curing stomach ailments, in case of swelling of hands and feet, pain in Arthritis, etc.
The nutritional elements present in Black Cumin are – beta sitosterol, thymoquinone, proteins, vitamin, palmitic acid, stearic acid and Oleic Acid.
Every 100gm of Black Cumin possesses the elements mentioned below-
- Sugar Content – 38%
- Calories – 345
- Cholesterol – 0 milligram (0%)
- Sodium – 44 miligram (3%)
- Potassium – 1694 miligram (48%)
- Carbohydrate – 52 gm (17%)
- Fiber – 80gm (160%)
- Protein – 16gm (32%)
- Vitamin A – 2%
- Vitamin C – 35%
- Calcium – 119%
- Iron – 102%
- Vitamin D – 0%
- Vitamin B6 – 25%
- Magnesium – 95%
Other names of Black Cumin – black seed, black caraway, Roman coriander, kalenji, funnel flower.
Scientific name of Black cumin – Nigella Sative
Scientific classification of black Cumin/Nigella Sative:
- Kingdom : Plantae
- Clade : Tracheophytes
- Clade : Angiosperms
- Clade : Endicotts
- Order : Ranunculales
- Family : Ranunculaceae
- Genus : Nigella
- Species : N. Sativa
Benefits of Black Cumin/Nigella Sative
- Black Cumin acts like a resistor to body pains. You can massage with Black cumin oil in which body part you are suffering from pain to get relief.
- Black cumin also helps in controlling blood pressure levels by reducing cholesterol levels to normal in blood. Thus, the spice proves to be an effective remedy for this health problem.
- Regular consumption of black cumin can improve brain functioning and memory power.
- Regular consumption of black cumin can also help in keeping the body organs fresh and active.
- To increase sexual potency and sperm production Black Cumin can be beneficial. Moreover, the spice magically helps the female body to increase conceiving capacity.
- Black cumin is also beneficial in preventing heart diseases. The spice controls cholesterol levels and thus it helps to keep the heart healthy.
- In cold-coughs also the black cumin can be beneficial. Consume 2 to 3 spoons of honey mixed with 2 spoons of Tulsi leaf juice and black cumin once daily. It will help relieving the problem
- In case of diseases related with the menstrual cycle of the female body, Black Cumin can be beneficial. You can just grind the spice and consume it using various dishes.
- To destroy internal body worms, black cumin is beneficial.
- The spice can also be used to treat boils. Applying black cumin oil or grinded black cumin mixed with sesame oil on the spot where the boil occurs can relieve the problem.
- Black cumin is also beneficial in relieving headaches.
- In Arthritis, you can massage on the body pain area with black cumin oil, doing this will miraculously reduce pain
- Black cumin has been used for a very long time to treat hemorrhoid problems. Consume 1teaspoon of black cumin oil mixed with the same quantity of honey for 2-3weeks twice or thrice a day. It will help relieve the problem.
- Black Cumin is also beneficial to increase breast milk production in the female body.
- The spice can also prevent hair fall. Consuming black cumin on a daily basis and applying black cumin oil on the scalp may reduce hair fall.
- Black Cumin prevents diseases related to teeth. Such as- toothache, bleeding from teeth, swelling of tooth roots etc.
- In case of Asthma and other respiratory diseases Black Cumin can be used for its benefits.
- In itching problems, Black Cumin can be used to get relief. You can apply black cumin oil on your skin after taking a bath. This will reduce the problem to an extent.
- Consumption of Black Cumin improves digestion.
- For liver disease and cancer, Black Cumin is helpful. Aflatoxins are responsible for liver cancer. Black cumin destroys the harmful effects of these Aflatoxins. For the people suffering from the mentioned disease black cumin is highly beneficial.
*Though the spice is beneficial for health, you must consult a specialist if you are facing any kind of problem after consuming this.
How to use Black Cumin/Nigella Sative
- Massage the body pain areas with black cumin oil to relieve body pain and arthritis.
- The spice can relieve gastric if taken with 1 spoon of roasted Black Cumin with the same quantity of honey in the morning and evening on empty stomach for 3 to 4 days.
- You can take a head massage with black cumin oil to get relief from headaches.
- It can also relieve cold & cough if the spice is consumed with 2/3 spoon of honey and 2 spoon of tulsi leaf juice once daily.
- In case of earache, you can heat up about 1 teaspoon of black cumin oil with 2 drops of olive oil and pour it slowly into the ear hole. Do this for 3 to 4 days twice a day and it will help to reduce the pain.
- For diarrhea treatment, you can simply take 1 spoon of black cumin oil with 1cup of cow milk for 3 to 4 days twice a day. It will help to relieve the problem.
- Consume Black Cumin on a daily basis to improve brain functioning, strengthen memory power and to regulate blood circulation.
- Consuming 1 spoon of black cumin oil added with a cup of black tea can help control Diabetes.
- Applying black cumin oil mixed with lemon juice twice a day daily can remove unwanted marks and scars from the face.
- Applying ground black cumin or black cumin oil mixed with sesame oil on boil may help to relieve the problem.
- To relieve dry cough, take 1 or 2 spoon black cumin oil mixed with 1 spoon of coffee twice a day for up to 5 days.
- To treat Gallbladder stone and kidney stone, take 1spoon of black cumin oil with 1 spoon honey on empty stomach once a day for 1 week.
- Taking 2 spoon honey with the same quantity of roasted black cumin thrice a day for 15 to 20 days may improve memory.
- To cure stomach ache, you can take a spoon of honey with roasted black cumin and add rice starch to it.
- For toothache, take 1 spoon vinegar, 1spoon black cumin and boil them after mixing with water. Let it cool and gurgle it for twice or thrice a day. It will help reduce the pain.
- To control blood pressure, mix 1 or 2spoon of black cumin oil with warm water and consume it.
- If you have wounds on neck and nose walls, take 1spoon of black cumin oil with 1 spoon lemon juice and pour the mixture into the nostrils. It will cure the wounds.
Read Also: Amazing Health Benefits and Uses of Turmeric
Side effects of Black Cumin/Nigella Sativa
Along with the beneficial side, Black Cumin does have side effects-
- Pregnant women should avoid consuming this particular spice, as it may lead to miscarriage.
- Some people cannot digest black cumin, for those individuals it is suggested not to take this spice.
- Children below 2 years should not consume black cumin.
*Realizing the fact that the spice does have side effects, people should be careful and use the spice wisely to get its benefits.
In the above article, you must have come to know about the medicinal spice Black Cumin. The article includes information about the nutrition the spice contains, its uses, the Benefits of Black Cumin, and its side effects. We hope the information this article gives you helps you in various ways. Thank you!