Digholoti: Benefits, Assam Traditional and Medicinal Importance, Practical Aspects of Digholoti, Important Medicinal Substances present in Digholoti, Medicinal Qualities/Properties of Digholoti.
Dighloti is a relevant plant associated with Rongali Bihu. This medium-sized plant is found naturally in different parts of Assam. The leafy branches of Dighloti are used in some rituals played on the day of Goru Bihu while washing the cow’s body. It is believed that the process is made to protect cows from various insects. The life span of this plant is long. The stem and branches are somewhat weak. The leaves are slightly elongated. The average height of this plant is 10 to 12 feet and it acquires a bushy shape while growing to that height. This plant is generally found in the forest areas of Assam. Nowadays, people have started planting this tree in the free spaces around their houses for traditional and other purposes.
Scientific Classification of Digholoti
- Scientific name : Litsea salicifolia
- Kingdom : Plantae
- Phylum : Angiospermae
- Sub-phylum : Magnolids
- Order : Laurales
- Family : Lauraceae
- Genus : Litsea
- Species : salicifolia
Distribution and Cultivation Process of Digholoti
The species is usually found in dry, waterlogged areas. Agricultural scientists have identified China as the Origin place of Dighloti. Later on, the plant has distributed its species to the Southern Asian regions. With the flow of time this plant has started propagating in India and Assam. This plant can be found in all parts of Assam, especially in waterlogged areas.
In Assam, Dighloti is used for the following reasons –
- In the time of Bohag Bihu.
- As a mosquito repellant.
- Used as food for the worms while the production of Muga silk.
- Dighloti is also used for its medicinal importance towards human health.
There is no systematic or scientific procedure for the cultivation of Dighloti. It is generally propagated naturally by seeds. The seedlings can be collected and planted elsewhere. The seedlings are usually seen from September to October. All agronomists have found that the viability is maintained for up to 40 days at normal temperature after removal or collection of cocoons from Dighloti. This tree can also be planted by the cutting method. Generally 6-7 feet long branches are collected from the main tree. For a collection of branches the months of April-May and September- October is suitable. This plant can also be produced in the laboratory using a scientific method called Germplasm by plant tissue culture.
Important Medicinal Substances present in Digholoti
Dighloti contains many chemical properties which have medicinal importance for the human body. The chemical elements carried by Dighloti mentioned below –
- 63 types of Alkaloid
- 20 types of Alkaloid
- 73 types of Sesquiterpene
- 39 types of Flavonoid
- 35 types of Lignin
Fatty Acids –
- Cinnamic Acid
- Pamoic Acid
- Octanoic Acid
- Olic Acid
Medicinal Qualities/Properties of Digholoti
- Medicinal importance of Dighloti can be seen in the case of skin health. The Dighloti leaf juice can be used for skin diseases. This juice is very effective and beneficial for skin problems.
- To treat chronic dysentery, consume a mixture prepared from Dighloti leaf juice, pomegranate leaf juice and dudhmou leaf juice.
- For Carbuncle, the consumption of Dighloti leaf or peel juice mixed with milk may relieve the problem.
- The juice of Dighloti roots may reduce birth pain/labor pain.
- In case of bone fracture, apply the paste of Dighloti fruit externally on the affected area to reduce the pain.
- In case of cough/sneeze, or fever, consume a mixture made from Dighloti peel, pipli black pepper and roots of jackfruit tree. This may relieve the problem.
- Dighloti peel can be used to treat asthma.
- In case of Indigestion and Bronchitis, Dighloti peel helps to relieve the health problems.
- Consuming Dighloti leaf juice can reduce or cure inflammation in the urinary tract.
- Dighloti contains Alkaloid chemicals for which it acts like – Antioxidant, Anti Palette, Anti Rumor.
- Dighloti contains Monoterpene which it can help to increase Anti bacterial capacity of the human body.
- Flavonoid content present in Dighloti helps to increase the fighting capacity of the body against inflammation and itching.
- Flavonoid content in Dighloti has Hepatoprotective Effect (protection of liver from damage).
- Amide and Lignin present in Dighloti improves the body protective system against cancer.
- Fatty acid present in Dighloti improves the protective system of the body against diabetes.
Practical Aspects of Digholoti
Apart from the use of Dighloti in Bohag Bihu, the plant is used as mosquito repellent. The plant has a history of rare use as a medicinal remedy in households. But nowadays, studies are continuing on the medicinal properties of this plant and still a long way to go to find out its practical aspects.
Although, there are some traditional treatments where Dighloti is used for its medicinal importance towards the human health-
- Medicinal importance of Dighloti can be seen in the case of the blood circulatory system. Consuming Dighloti leaf juice 100-200ml per day for 21 days can increase blood circulation.
- Mix 100-200ml Dighloti leaf juice in each litre of water and use it for bathing. It will reduce skin diseases.
- Consume 1spoon of Dighloti leaf juice and the same amount of honey to relieve Cold-cough.
- Mix about half kg Dighloti peel in a bucket of water and boil it. Use the water to wash your body. Repeating the process daily can prevent various skin diseases.
Harmful Side effects of Digholoti:
- People suffering from stomach illness should avoid consuming Dighloti leaf juice, as it may lead to other problems like- Indigestion, Stomach Ache etc.
- The plant should be used in a limited quantity and with the advice of a specialist or doctor, otherwise it may cause damage to the body.
- People having allergy problems should avoid bathing with Dighloti leaf or peel extract mixed water. Or it may result in itching, redness in eyes, irritation in eyes, throat inflammation etc.
- Dighloti plants can catch many diseases. Using this kind of infected plant may cause various diseases in the human body. Therefore, examining the plant is most necessary before using it.
Fortunately, nowadays, Dighloti makhiyoti are available in markets. Everyone has a duty to keep alive the ancestral tradition of Goru Bihu. Dighloti has been used from the very first day of the Bohag Bihu celebration in society. Although being used for a long time, a huge portion of society doesn’t know about the beneficial side of this plant. The Department of Pharmaceutical Science is currently conducting research on the medicinal properties and health importance of Dighloti. In the near future, Dighloti may be considered not only as an essential plant Bohag Bihu and Muga silk production but also as a source of medicine for various ailments.
From the above article you must have come to know about Dighloti till now. The article covered the chemical and medicinal substances of Dighloti along with its health importance, uses and side effects. We hope the information carried by this article will help you in various health conditions in different ways. Thank you!