General Fever: – What is Fever, its Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment at home or Home remedies, Fever medicines and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about it
What is Fever?
Fever (Pyrexia) usually refers to increase in body temperature rather than Homeostasis condition. Normally the body temperature of a healthy person ranges from 36 to 37 degrees. More than that can be a fever symptom.
Fever is a clinically characteristic physical condition that appears as a side sign during an infected illness. Such infected illnesses include Chikungunya, HantaVirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS), malaria, enteric, pulmonary tuberculosis etc.
General Fever and Related Things
According to a study published on the NCBI website- According to a wonderful scientific lesson in Saladi, fever is a common and beneficial process in the human body unless it is long-term and the body temperature does not reach 44 to 46 degrees.
Further this article will discuss the types, symptoms, causes and home remedies of general fever.
Read Also: Amazing Health Benefits of Ashoka
Types of General Fever
Fever is divided into several types based on its duration, temperature and symptoms.
According to duration:
1) Acute – This type of fever does not last for more than 7 days or a week.
2) Sub-Acute – This fever can last up to 2 weeks.
3) Chronic – This fever can last for more than 2 weeks.
According to the temperature level:
1) Low level – This fever rises up to 38 degrees Celsius in body temperature.
2) Moderate level – It contains body temperature ranging from 39 to 41 degrees Celsius.
3) High levels – Body temperature is found to be 40 or 41 degrees Celsius.
4) Very high level/Hyperpyrexia – The body temperature is found above 41 degree Celsius at this level.
According to the symptoms:
1) Intermediate fever – This fever keeps the body temperature at 37 degrees Celsius during the day and increases during the night. According to medical experts this fever is usually caused by a parasite or a bacterial infection. For example, malaria, septicaemia, etc. can be included. It can be further subdivided into three types in the next phase – Quotidian, tertian and quartan fever.
2) Sudden high level of fever – This fever suddenly occurs. The body temperature suddenly increases. You may also feel too tired, headache, pain, etc. Dengue fever is a common type of fever.
3) Persistent fever – The temperature of the body is above normal in this fever and is often the same throughout the day. More or less no difference is seen more than 1 degree Celsius. This fever is usually caused by bacteria and is associated with health conditions like Pneumonia, Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and Typhoid fever.
4) Remittent fever – This fever is often the same as the constant fever. It also has an increase in body temperature throughout the day but it can fluctuate by more than 1 degree Celsius. It can usually occur due to a brucellosis bacterial infection or a physical condition called Infective endocarditis (this causes irritation in the inner skin of the heart).
5) Rheumatic fever – This fever is caused by Streptococcal bacteria. According to medical experts this bacteria shows signs of throat infection in the early stages. If it is not treated in time it may later upgrade to get a painful fever. Common symptoms of this fever are tonsils and white spots on the tongue, irritation, headache, etc.
Apart from the above discussed types, within the boundaries of Indian territory other types of fever such as Pel Ebstein and Neutropenic are noticed.
General Symptoms of Fever
Some of the prominent symptoms of fever are as mentioned below:
- Trembling in the limbs
- Pain in the flesh muscles and joints
- Weak appetite
- Difficulty paying attention
- Physical relaxation
- Red spots on the skin
- Light sensitivity
- Difficulty breathing
- Muscle cramps and abdominal pain
- Seizures etc.
*If you have been suffering from fever for more than 2 weeks, immediately approach the doctor.
What causes fever?
Fever can result from various causes in an adult body. Some of them are as follows-
- Infectious diseases from viruses, bacteria and fungus – respiratory tract infections, digestive tract infections, urinary tract infections (UTIs), skin infections, malaria etc.
- Burn condition in the body – Rheumatoid Arthritis and lupus.
- Environmental causes – heart stroke.
- Drug – Cocaine, Amphetamines etc.
Home remedies for General Fever
Some home remedies have been used since ancient times to relieve general fever symptoms. Some of them are mentioned below :
1) Take 25 grams of tulsi leaves, 25 grams of bahok tree leaves in half a liter of water and boil until 125 grams of water is left in the pot. Add 6 teaspoons of honey into it and consume twice a day for 7 days. It will help relieve fever and cough. (Please consult your doctor before applying this remedy if you have allergic reaction from any of these ingredients)
2) 5 grams tulsi leaves, 5 grams of bahok tree leaves, 5 grams of ginger, 5 grams of pipli, and a few bay leaves in 4 cups of water, boil the water and consume it in the morning and the evening for 2 to 7 days. (Please consult your doctor before applying this remedy if you have allergic reaction from any of these ingredients)
3) Take 15 grams of bahok tree leaf juice, 15 grams of tulsi leaf juice, 125 grams of carrot juice, 100 grams of rock sugar in a pot and boil the mixture. Let it cool and store in a bottle. Mix a small amount of pepper powder with that mixture and eat it once a day for 20 days. Doing so is known to cure whooping cough. (Please consult your doctor before applying this remedy if you have allergic reaction from any of these ingredients)
4) Take enough sleep. Our body can heal itself better while it is at rest.
5) Drink more water, fruit juice, glucose etc. Doing so can prevent fever causing dehydration.
6) Always consume hot or lukewarm water when suffering from fever.
7) Eat foods which are easy to digest. Example- rice porridge, non-spicy oil free boiled food.
8) Wash worn clothes in hot water. Maintaining a hygiene level is beneficial for healing.
9) Consume high calorie and protein rich, low fat foods, as the internal processes of the body require more calories to run when they are unhealthy than usual.
10) You can also take OTC drugs such as paracetamol/ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen (aleve) etc. if you are suffering from severe fever. Remember, Aspirin is not suggested for children to consume and even the old age should consume it in a limited manner. However, if you are suffering from any serious physical problems, it is advisable to consult a doctor once before consuming such medicines.
11) Do not wear too many layers of clothes when you have a fever. Because layering will only help in increasing your body heat.
NOTE: Please keep in mind that Fever has numerous causes. The above mentioned remedies may not work for all individuals. Please consult you doctor if the provided remedies doesn’t work for you.
What food you should consider eating during Fever?
Sometimes, general fever may also have some harmful effects on our body. In such conditions, the body needs highly nutritious food to ensure smooth functioning of the internal functions and organs of the body. Fresh and nutritious foods provide energy to the body which helps in healing the body directly or indirectly. So it is very important to choose and eat food wisely while you have a fever. A list of foods you can eat and foods to avoid while suffering from fever mentioned below –
Foods you can eat –
- Fruit Juice
- Tender coconut water
- Rice Porridge
- Boiled vegetables
- Vegetable Soup
- Lean meat
- Steamed fish, eggs or other protein-rich foods
- Citric fruit etc.
Foods you should avoid eating –
- Foods that are high in Fiber
- Oily food
- Sugary food items
- Readymade/packaged food
- Spicy food
- Strongly flavored beverages
- Rice soup
The Above article about General Fever symptoms provided a basic knowledge purpose information. Please consult your doctor if the above mentioned remedies don’t work for you. Thank You!
Also Read: General Fever in Assamese
1) Is fever dangerous? Does it have a bad effect on the brain?
A. No, fever is actually good as it helps the internal body system to kill bacteria and viruses. Only body temperature above 108 fahrenheit can damage the brain and this level of body temperature can only be achieved by extreme environmental temperature.
2) What are the causes of high body temperature?
A- The most common cause of fever is cold and flu. Other causes may include gastroenteritis, ear infections, medicinal side effects, body inflammation conditions, vaccines, skin, lung, or neck infections.
3) When does fever become a serious problem?
A- Fever is a medical emergency if it is above 100.4 fahrenheit or 39 degrees Celsius. Also, when you have lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea, irritability, breathing problems, chest pain, or seizures, then approach the doctor. Moreover, treatment is necessary if your fever lasts for more than three days or if you have an existing medical condition along with it.
4) Which temperature is considered fever?
A- Fever is a temperature of 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 Fahrenheit) or higher in the body.
5) Can someone have a seizure due to fever?
A- No, only 4% of children can have seizures with fever.