Health Benefits of Coconut
Fruits are very nutritious and among the healthiest food options. These fruits are rich in fiber, Vitamins, Minerals, and Antioxidants. One such fruit rich in various nutrients is Coconut.
Coconut is a great nutritious fruit that we can eat in both fresh and dried form. Coconut is used for its water, milk, oil and delicious fleshy parts. Coconut trees have been grown in tropical areas for more than 4,500 years but have recently become popular due its taste, cooking uses, and potential health benefits.
Coconut belongs to the ‘Arecaceae’ plant family. It is one of the most useful trees in the world and is often referred to as the “tree of life”. It provides food, fuel, cosmetics, folk medicines and manufacturing materials. Coconut was first domesticated by The Austrians on the Southeast Asian Island and spread to the East, as in the Pacific Islands, and to the West like Madagascar and Comoros, through their sea migration during Neolithic times.
What is a Coconut?
Coconut is a large tree growing to a height of 30 meters (100 feet), pinnate leaves 4-6 meters (13-20 feet) long, and piney is 60-90 cm (2-3 feet) long; In fertile soil, a tall coconut tree yields up to 75 fruits every year. Due to proper care and growing conditions, coconut trees produce the first fruit in 6 to 10 years, taking 15 to 20 years to reach maximum production. Coconut trees are found in humid and hot areas throughout the southern hemisphere. Tropical and subtropical climates are the most prevalent in the development of coconut trees. Although the western part of the world uses and enjoys the fruits of coconut trees, the development and use of coconut trees and coconuts is very high in places like South Asia, India, and the Polynesian regions of the world. Coconut trees are found in the Caribbean Islands, Madagascar, Tahiti, and other warm and humid places.
Further, this article discusses the health benefits of coconut and other related information.
Read Also: 14 Incredible Benefits of Eating Cauliflower
Nutritional value per 100 g Coconut
- Calories: 160
- Fat: 15g
- Sodium: 9mg
- Carbohydrates: 6.8g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 2.8g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Potassium: 160mg
- Manganese: 0.68mg
- Selenium: 4.5mcg
Various Regional Names of Coconut
- Assamese: Narikol
- Tamil: Thengai
- Malayalam: Nalikeram, Thenga
- Telugu : Kobbari Kaaya
- Hindi: Nariyal
- Bengali: Narcos
- Gujarati: Naliyer,Nariyal
- Marathi: Naral
- Odia: Nadia
- Punjabi: Gola, Nariyal
- Kashmiri: Narjeel
Scientific Classification of Coconut
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Clade: Tracheophytes
- Clade: Angiosperms
- Clade: Monocots
- Clade: Commelinids
- Order: Arecales
- Family: Arecaceae
- Subfamily: Arecoideae
- Tribe: Cocoseae
- Species: C. Nucifera
- Scientific Name: Cocos nucifera
Health Benefits and Uses of Coconut
- Fiber content
Coconut is high in dietary fiber and provides 61% fiber. Coconut fiber slows down the release of glucose and transports it to cells if it is converted into energy. It helps relieve stress on the pancreas and enzyme system which reduces the risk of developing diabetes.
- Boost Immunity
Coconut nutrients are excellent for the immune system. It is antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-parasite. Taking coconut oil can help the body increase resistance to both the virus and bacteria that cause the disease. Its raw consumption of coconut can help treat some of the worst diseases such as throat infections, bronchitis, urinary tract infections, tapeworms, and other diseases caused by microbes.
- Abdominal fat
Treating dangerous fats in the abdominal cavity is also beneficial in coconut. Belly fat is the most dangerous of all fats and is associated with various diseases. The 200g coconut served daily can cause a significant reduction in both BMI and hip circumference in just 12 weeks.
- Treats Epilepsy
A ketogenic diet is a low-carb diet used to treat various disorders. The best-known application is to treat epilepsy in children. The diet involves consuming a small amount of sugar and large amounts of fat which can lead to increased concentration of the body of the kit one in the blood. This diet can dramatically reduce the seizure rate of epilepsy children.
- Fights Cancer
Coconut nutrients have been proven to have anticancer properties. Coconut is particularly beneficial in treating colon and breast cancer.
- Keeps you hydrated
Coconut water contains important electrolytes that help in maintaining hydration. People involved in easy exercise and other rigorous activities should include as much coconut water as they can in their diet. Coconut water replaces lost electrolytes, provides hydration and increases immunity response. It is a good option for water as it is more delicious than normal water and is full of nutrients.
- Prevents Urinary Tract Infection
The natural urinary tract characteristics of coconut treat urinary tract infections. It improves the flow of urine to get rid of infections naturally.
- Improves Blood Cholesterol
Coconut helps in improving blood cholesterol levels in the body and reduces the risk of heart disease. The saturated fat of coconut increases good cholesterol in the body and regulates LDL to a benign subtype. This improvement in cardiovascular risk factors theoretically reduces the risk of developing heart disease.
- Extremely beneficial during Pregnancy
Coconut water is sterile and very good for pregnant women. It improves the immunity and health of the mother and baby and prevents infection and other diseases. It increases the level of amniotic fluid to improve overall health of the fetus.
- Healthy Bones and Teeth
Regular consumption of coconut helps in healthy bone and tooth development. It improves the body’s ability to absorb calcium and manganese which helps in bone development. It prevents osteoporosis, a condition that lightens and brittles bones and loses their density. Thus it is a healthy option for those who are lactose intolerant.
- Good for Skin
Coconut oil is excellent for keeping the skin beautiful. Its antioxidant assets slow down the aging process by protecting the body from harmful free radicals. Massaging a few drops of coconut oil daily will keep it healthy and smooth. Apply it on the skin before bathing. It will open the pores while bathing and allow the oil to absorb more efficiently through the skin.
- Coconut Benefits for Hair
Coconut can treat hair loss problems. Both coconut water and coconut oil can help in hair loss treatment. Massage your hair with coconut water or coconut oil before bathing to prevent the tearing of hair. This will make the hair soft, smooth, and manageable.
Other Benefits of Coconut
1) 20 grams of coconut water should be mixed with 1 piece of lemon juice and washed off after 20 minutes. Then the hair stops falling, the hair becomes black and long.
2) Mixing jaggery with coconut water and raw coriander and consuming the mix can remove the urethra.
3) Take out the coconut milk and apply it on the base of the hair on the head and wash the head after 20 minutes.
4) Drinking half a cup of coconut water twice a day destroys blood bile.
5) Mix coconut oil with reetha, amla powder, and a little camphor and tie it with a towel soaked in hot water and wash it off with protein-rich shampoo after 20/25 minutes. This results in thick, long and black hair. It also treats the dandruff problem.
6) Drinking coconut water when you feel a burning sensation while urinating can help with the condition.
7) To remove dandruff at the base of the hair; mix coconut oil with camphor and apply on your hair roots.
8) Coconut water can calm down hiccups. Daab coconut water is more beneficial.
9) Feeding coconut water for viral fever, hepatitis, or liver disease cures the contaminated substances through urine very quickly.
10) Feeding daab coconut water to patients with ulcers, and colitis brings the patient’s intestinal organisms to recovery.
11) Coconut water is also very beneficial for heart patients as coconut water is high in vitamin B. This strengthens the heart.
12) If there is a stone in the kidney, the stones are drained out through the urine when coconut water is fed twice a day.
13) When water from the body of a cholera patient becomes very weak due to discharge with the toilet, then drinking coconut water twice for 1 month a day will make the patient stronger.
14) Coconut water also has the power to destroy intestinal worms in children.
15) Drinking coconut water in the burning state of urine removes the urinal barrier as amino acids, sugars (glucose) potassium and carbohydrates are found in coconut water. These are very much needed for our bodies.
Uses of Coconut
Coconut fruits, coconut oil, and coconut water are used as medicine. Coconut fruits can be consumed quickly, such as coconut water, coconut milk, bread, coconut sweets, etc. Coconut and coconut oil are also added to different types of dishes and the baking material is used as coconut. Coconut fruits, coconut water, and coconut-made food items are used for curing diseases and home remedies made from coconut and cosmetics available in the market are used to improve hair and skin.
Side Effects of Coconut
Coconut is safe when consumed in food quantities. Coconut is probably safe when used as a medicine. In some adults and children, eating coconut can cause allergic reactions. Symptoms can include skin blemishes and difficulty breathing. There are other side effects of coconut:
- Excess consumption of coconut water increases blood potassium levels, leading to irregular heart rate and kidney problems.
- Some people are allergic to coconut milk and its products. Therefore, it should be taken carefully.
- Coconut oil can lead to nausea if overeaten.
It should be used in the right quantity keeping in view the benefits and disadvantages of coconut as excessive use of any product can harm our health.
Consult a doctor before using coconut in curing the disease.
Through the above article, you must have got a brief knowledge about the benefits of coconut and other related important information. This information may benefit you in various ways.
1/ Is eating coconut good for skin?
Ans: The amount of fat present in coconut nourishes your skin, keeps your skin hydrated and soft so that wrinkles are not seen early due to dry skin. Moreover, it is a rich source of monolaurin and lauric acid that makes it antibacterial and antifungal in nature.
2/ Is coconut good for hair?
Ans: Adding coconut oil to your hair stimulates hair growth, prevents split ends and hair damage. It boosts scalp health by fighting insect bites, lice and dandruff. It gives natural glow and softness to the hair.
3/ What are the side effects of coconut?
Ans: Coconut is probably safe when used as a medicine. In some adults and children, eating coconut can cause allergic reactions. Symptoms can include skin blemishes and difficulty breathing.
4/ Is coconut good for blood pressure?
Ans: Coconut water can help in lowering blood pressure. Preliminary research suggests that coconut drinks in people with high blood pressure can lower blood pressure. However, if you are taking blood pressure medication, it may be better to avoid coconut water as it can cause it to be extremely low.
5/ Can we eat raw coconut on an empty stomach?
Ans: Drinking coconut water on an empty stomach first in the morning can help in many ways. It is low in calories. Drinking coconut water acts as a digestive. It helps in faster digestion and prevents bloating after meals.