The role of fruits in improving our health is essential. Fresh and dry both forms of fruit are nutritious and beneficial for our health. Many of these fruits are rich in ingredients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Stone apple is one such nutritious fruit.
Stone apple is a delicious fruit packed with medicinal properties. Aegle marmelos trees are native to India and Bangladesh and have been naturalized in most parts of Southeast Asia. Sun Dried pieces of raw Stone apple are traditionally used as a remedy for dysentery and other digestive issues. The ripe fruit is sweet, fragrant and cool. The roots, leaves and pulses of the raw fruit are used to make medicines. Stone apple is used for constipation, diarrhea, diabetes and other physical conditions.
Benefits and Uses of Stone Apple
Stone apple is a deciduous bushy tree of small to medium size (up to 13 meters height). Tree wood is yellow-white and hard. The slow growing tree has alternate compound leaves with strong spines and three sheets. Sweet-fragrant white flowers are carried in the penikal cluster and sometimes used in perfumes. The fruit is about the shape of a vegetable and is 5-25cm (2-10 inches) in diameter.
This article describes the equality information about benefits of Stone apple.
Nutritional Value per 100g Stone Apple
- Energy:137 kcal
- Carbohydrate: 31.8 gm
- Fat : 0.3 g
- Proteins: 1.8 gm
- Vitamin A: 55 mcg
- Vitamin C: 60 mg
- Thiamine B1: 0.13 mg
- Riboflavin B2:। 1.19 mg
- Niacin B3 :1.1 mg
- Carotene: 55 mcg
- Calcium: 85 mg
- Potassium: 600 mg
- Fiber: 2.9 gm
- Water: 61.5 g
Different Regional Names of Stone Apple
- Assamese: Bel
- Hindi: Stone apple, Bel
- Bengali: Bael, Bel
- Marathi: Bael, Bel, Bili, Vel
- Gujarati: Bili, Billi
- Malayalam: Koovalam, Vilvam, Kulakan, Kuvalam, Kuvalap-Pazham, Koovalam, Mavilavu, Kovalam
- Odia: Belo, Voltei, Bell
Scientific Classification of Stone Apple
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Clade: Tracheophytes
- Clade: Angiosperms
- Clade: Eudicots
- Clade: Rosids
- Order: Sapindales
- Family: Rutaceae
- Subfamily: Aurantioideae
- Genus: AegleCorrêa
- Species: A. Marmelos
- Scientific name: Aegle marmelos
Benefits of Stone Apple
1. Management of bacterial-infected diarrhea and cholera:
Stone apple has antibacterial and antiparasitic properties that help improve diarrhea. Tannin present in stone apples helps fight the bacteria ‘shigellosis’ that causes diarrhea and cholera. Children, travelers, and people with poor immune systems are particularly vulnerable to Shigella. Some studies suggest that consuming ripe Stone apples can control cholera and diarrhea.
2. Good for digestion:
Stone apple contains antibacterial, and antifungal properties thus it acts as the best remedy for all digestion-related problems. Its miraculous juice can control the gastric ulcer caused by mucus imbalance and oxidative pressure levels in the gastric tube. It can also be used to prevent cancer for its laxative properties.
3. Controls Cholesterol:
Stone apple juice helps in cholesterol control and lowers blood cholesterol levels. It is a cardio-protective fruit rich in antioxidants that reduces the risk of heart disease.
4. Helps with diabetes management:
Stone apple peels and branches are rich in a compound-Feronia gum that regulates blood sugar levels. In Ayurveda, the Stone apple is an essential remedy for diabetes. The Stone apple stimulates the pancreas and helps in producing insulin which regulates blood sugar levels.
5. Prevent skin infections:
Being bacteria-resistant, antifungal, and Stone apple has anti-inflammatory properties, it is a great remedy for skin infections. Stone apple leaf oil prevents common types of fungi that infect the skin. It can also be beneficial for skin rash and itching.
6. Acts as a blood purifier:
Stone apple is considered as a blood purifier, as it is rich in minerals that help in extracting all toxins from the body. It is a natural detoxifier and thus prevents kidney and liver disorders.
7. Help with scurvy:
Stone apple is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants that help you control your scurvy symptoms. Scurvy can lead to vitamin C deficiency in the body causing pain and weakness in the hands and feet. Stone apple juice is a good source of vitamins and helps to cure this infection.
8. May Reduce Cancer Risk:
Stone apple juice contains antioxidants and has the ability to scavenge for free radicals. Those free radicals may be beneficial in reducing the risk of cancer. Some studies suggest that consuming this juice regularly prevents or cures breast cancer.
9. Immunity Booster:
Stone apple juice is a powerhouse of vitamin C and antioxidants that boost immunity. Eating this juice during the monsoon will help prevent infections caused by bacteria and viruses.
10. Increases milk production in lactating mothers:
Daily use of stone apples can increase Prolactin and corticoid production. It stimulates the function of galactic and thereby helps in improving the quality of breast milk. For better results, the lactating mother should consume this juice with dried ginger powder and jaggery.
11. Helping with Weight Loss
Stone fruits are low GI, low calorie, and rich in nutrients like vitamins C and A, which make them great for people trying to lose weight.
Due to its high fiber content, it has laxative qualities and so aids in the natural management of constipation and indigestion.
Other Benefits of Stone Apple
- Ripe stone apple increases the strength of the intestine. Eating this fruit may benefit from swollen diseases, fever, cough, Acne, etc.
- Make a paste of Stone apple root with water and apply it on your forehead when you have a headache.
- Consuming 10 gm of Stone apple juice twice a day may help in reducing blood sugar levels.
- Consuming Stone apple juice during summer can cool your body.
- Bake a raw stone apple, mix rock sugar with the extracted juice, and consume the mix 2, 3 times a day. It will let you go through bile-related problems.
- Tea made by mixing jaggery with stone apple cures blood vessel-related diseases.
- A decoction made from stone apple by boiling and adding honey to it can provide relief from nausea.
- Stone apple can act as a blood purifier when taken twice a day with warm water and added sugar.
Read Also: Surprising Benefits of Sponge Gourd
Uses of Stone Apple
Stone apple is mainly used for consumption purposes. Along with the fruit its leaves, roots and seeds also have medicinal properties. Stone apples are used to make juices, desserts etc. Tablets, capsules, and juices are differently used in curing various health problems.
Side Effects of Stone Apple
The side effects of stone apple are –
- Constipation: Stone apples are consumed as a treatment for diarrhea. But overconsumption may lead to constipation and other digestive problems. Therefore, it is better to consult your doctor before using the fruit as medicine for diarrhea.
- Hypoglycemia: Excessive consumption of stone apple reduces blood sugar levels very low if there is a possibility of lowering blood sugar levels. You may experience headaches, confusion and lack of consciousness. You need to stop consuming immediately in such cases and go to the doctor as hypoglycemia is a medical emergency.
- Allergic Effects: Although no specific research has reported unrestrained allergies to stone apple, it contains a number of phytochemicals and ingredients that can in some cases get an allergic outcome. It can cause more severe symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach upset or shortening of breath.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: In case of both pregnant and lactating mothers, excessive consumption of stone apples must be avoided to prevent any side effects.
It should be used regularly in the right quantity keeping in view the benefits and disadvantages of the stone apple as excessive use of any product can harm our health and pregnant women should avoid its excessive use. Doctors should be consulted before using these fruits in curing disease.
Till now you must have come to know about the benefits and other related information about stone apples. These data may help you with various health issues. Thank You!
Q. Which nutrients are contained in Stone apples?
Stone apple fruit is a pack of various nutrients such as beta-carotene, protein, riboflavin and vitamin C. It contains vitamins B1 and B2, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, carotene and contains good amounts of minerals such as calcium, potassium, fiber and good fats.
Q. How can I preserve Stone apples?
Drying is the least expensive method to preserve stone apples for a long period of time. However, sugar-rich portions of the fruit such as the fleshy part and juices are difficult to dry, as they contain low molecular weight ingredients such as fructose, glucose, sucrose, citric acid.
Q. Is Stone apple fruit acidic or alkaline?
Stone apple is an alkaline food and helps in cleaning the digestive tract, detoxifying the body and reducing acidity.
Q. When is the best time to eat Stone apple juice?
If you do regular exercise, Stone apple juice is also good after exercise. A 250ml glass of Stone apple juice contains 140-150 calories. Since the fruit is naturally sweet, it provides the body with the necessary nutrients after exercise.
Q. What is the scientific name of the Stone apple?
The scientific name of the stone apple is – ‘Aegle marmelos’.