Benefits of Ginger/Zingiber officinale – Amazing Health Benefits, Uses, and Side Effects
The world is filled with a huge number (about 2,50,000) of plant species. And among them almost 80,000 species are medicinal. The uses of these medicinal plants are based on folk beliefs continuing since ages. Ginger is one of these kinds of medicinal spice. From early times, the benefits of Ginger have been seen in medicinal use and for the treatments of various diseases.
What is Ginger?
Ginger is a spice having medicinal properties. Among the spice plants, ginger holds a special place. As a spice ginger has an important role to play. The chemical mixture present in this spice makes it strong, hitting and interesting in taste. This spice grows with a plant body featuring color green, leaves having long oval shape and dark green in color. The plant grows approximately 2 to 3 feet high. The inner side of the whole Ginger is light yellow in color. As a spice plant it is grown in a huge amount. Moreover, it is also grown In home gardens. Ginger contains antioxidants such as- dietary fiber, Protein, Iron, Sodium, Phosphorus, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Folate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Gingerol, Beta Keratin etc. In Assam, Karbi Anglong is the highest producer of Ginger. There are two types of ginger grown in karbi anglong, those are- Nadia & Aizol.
Scientific Name of Ginger- Zingiber officinale.
The most research has been conducted on Ginder among all other medicinal products of nature. According to the researchers, Ginger has been used as medicine for at least 5000 years. Ginger has a special significance in folk medicine. Ginger has antibacterial and antioxidant properties, which helps in preventing many diseases. Antioxidants are extremely important because they provide protection against free radicals. This spice also helps in preventing cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer’s and other diseases. Ginger is rich in vitamins that give energy to the body. The benefits of Ginger are also seen in case of cold & indigestion. Ginger has the ability to increase immunity in the human body. It is widely used to make Ayurvedic medicines. Moreover, it also helps in relieving muscle pain.
Ginger is one of the daily ingredients used in cooking in households. Especially in India and other Asian countries, the taste of any dish is considered incomplete without this particular spice. The dry form of ginger also has medicinal properties and it can also be preserved for a long time. According to Ayurveda scriptures, ginger is a deep appetite stimulator which works by strengthening the digestive system of the human body. Because of its various medicinal properties it is used in many medicines.
Scientific classification of Ginger/zingiber Officinale
- Kingdom : Plantae
- Clade : Tracheophytes
- Clade : Angiosperms
- Clade : Monocots
- Clade : Commelinids
- Order : Zingiberales
- Family : Zingiberaceae
- Genus : Zingiber
- Species : Z. Officinale
- Scientific name : Zingiber Officinale
Amazing Benefits Of Ginger
- The benefits of Ginger and its effective uses are seen in case of Indigestion, loss of appetite, Stomach ache. It can also help in dealing with chemotherapy and cancer.
- Ginger prevents heart diseases. The juice of ginger is beneficial in lowering the body temperature and treating heart diseases.
- Researches done by scientists say that Ginger contains many health beneficial elements. It improves digestion, makes saliva sensitive and also helps in relieving gastric problems.
- Ginger prevents the liver from transforming into a fatty liver. It also protects the liver from the side effects of the treatment of Tuberculosis.
- Ginger stops bacterial infections due to having Antioxidant, Gingerol in it.
- Beneficial for problems/diseases related to eyes. Ginger can affect Paralysis, Cataract and other diseases in a good way.
- Prevents sensory related diseases/disorders/dysfunctions. Along with nose, ear and neck problems; ginger can also help to prevent problems related to respiratory system, sneezing/cough etc.
- For Diabetes patients ginger is helpful as it helps to control the blood sugar levels.
- It is also beneficial in treating menstrual cramps.
- Ginger works like a painkiller in case of joint pain, muscle pain and other body pain.
- Beneficial in controlling Blood Pressure problem. The special elements present in Ginger makes it useful in controlling Blood Pressure, Bad cholesterol, Triglycerides.
- Some antioxidants present in Ginger help to boost brain functioning. From recent research it is seen that Ginger also helps in preventing Alzheimer’s.
- Beneficial in headache, spilling Ginger extract into nostrils helps relieve headache.
- Beneficial in problems related to teeth. Consuming Ginger helps to prevent tonsil along with teeth problems. Applying Ginger after boiling in hot water will reduce toothache.
- In loss of appetite, Ginger is beneficial. Take a few raw pieces of this spice with salt before having a meal; your appetite will be back to normal.
- Also helpful in Cough/sneezing & Asthma.
- Helpful in treating Smallpox.
- Ginger prevents the morning sickness & vomiting tendency faced by pregnant women.
- It is said by the scientists that Ginger helps to prevent diseases like- Colon cancer, Breast Cancer, Pancreas Cancer, Ovary Cancer etc.
- Ginger is beneficial for Piles patients because it works to normalize stool.
- Any mental weakness & depression reduces after consuming Ginger.
- Among the Amazing benefits of Ginger one is that it helps to reduce weight. It cuts out the excess weight from the body.
How to Use Ginger/Zingiber Officinale
Ginger is used in many ways- In the form of raw, dry, juice, oil, tea and medicine etc. The other beneficial uses of this spice are-
- Prevents vomiting.
- In the case of gastric, Ginger is used with black salt, lemon juice to consume.
- 1 tablespoon of each following ingredients- Ginger juice, Amla juice & honey taken twice a day to prevent Sinus problem.
- Can be consumed with any kind of juice.
- Consumption of Ginger in the winter season is beneficial for health as it helps to warm up the body. People also enjoy Ginger tea which tastes good and you can get the benefits of Ginger.
- To get relief from muscle pain, Ginger oil mixed with sesame oil used to apply on the particular body area of pain.
- Ginger poultice applied on burn helps to get relief from pain and irritation.
- Taking 2gm of ginger daily helps in muscle pain relief.
- It can also be preserved with black salt and can get its benefit for a longer time while enjoying its salty spicy taste.
- Salt mixed with Ginger extract/juice and water helps to improve digestion.
- To get relief from stool problems (Ex: Constipation); Ginger, ajwain, lemon juice, black salt are taken together.
- To treat cough and asthma, Ginger juice mixed with honey and salt is used.
- In case of Earache, take sesame oil, honey, ginger juice and salt and mix them, heat the mixture and apply it on your ear to get relieved from pain.
- In the cold, ginger juice with honey is taken as medicine to get better.
- Apart from its medicinal uses Ginger is also used to make many dishes.
List of Ginger Products
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Ginger Garlic Paste Maker
- Ginger Ale
- Ginger Beer
- Ginger Tea
- Ginger Biscuits
- Ginger Juice
- Ginger juice Maker/Machine
- Ginger Oil for Hair Growth
- Ginger Shampoo
- Ginger Shampoo Body shop
- Ginger Body Shop Conditioner
- Ginger Body Oil
- Ginger Tablets
- Ginger Candy
Side Effects of Ginger
In the same way, the excess consumption of Ginger is harmful to the body as it is beneficial when taken in a good amount. You should not use Ginger too much during the period of pregnancy. Excess consumption of Ginger may lead to irritation and inflammation while urinating. More than 4gm of Ginger in a day is harmful to the human body. The exact amount of this spice can do miracles for you. Please consult a doctor/specialist to know the exact amount your body needs.
Herbal plants & spices have both beneficial and harmful sides. But when taken according to the needs of the body, they might be really helpful for us. We hope the information included in the above article about Ginger will help you in various ways in different diseases or health problems. Thank you!