Acalypha Indica Benefits
A variety of herbs have been traditionally used in the treatment of diseases since ancient times. Plants rich in these medicinal qualities are also used in Ayurvedic medicine. Indian Acalypha is one of these medicinal plants rich in such excellent health-beneficial properties. This herb has been used extensively as an antidote for a variety of ailments.
What is Kuppaimeni / Acalypha indica?
Kuppaimeni is an herbal plant. This plant is known as ‘Kuppikhakli’ in Hindi. This plant belongs to the genus ‘A.indica’ and the family ‘Euphorbiaceae’. ‘Acalypha indica’– is the scientific name of Indian Acalypha.
Where is it found?
Kuppaimeni is native to the tropics but now it is widely cultivated in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Yemen, and South Africa. This herbal plant is found in gardens, wastelands, agricultural lands and roadsides in India. Kuppaimeni plant prefers shady and dry places to grow. This plant is commonly found along roadsides, farm sides, forest cover, rocky hills, and river banks. Indian Acalypha has many health benefits. This is a popular herb and is used in Ayurvedic medicines.
What does it look like?
Indian Acalypha is a thorny, almost simple, stemmed annual herbaceous plant. Kuppaimeni grows up to the height of 3 feet. This plant can be easily distinguished by its cup-shaped involucres. The leaves are large ovary and are 1.2-6.5 cm long. Petiole is 1.5-5.5 cm long. The spike of the flower is axial, 2.5-6 cm long. These are small white to green in color. The pollen of the mother flower is almost circular and has a diameter of 10-12 microns. The green flower at the base of the flower spike is known as female flowers. Fruits are tubercular, 1.2-2 mm in size and covered with pubescent. The stems of the flower buds are covered with pubescent.
This herbal plant is used in Powerful pharmacological activities and traditional medicine such as anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, anti-hypertensive, anti-diabetic and antihypertensive. It is known to be a good remedy for respiratory problems, rheumatoid arthritis, scabies, and insect bites, and also helps in wound healing. A decoction made from whole plants is used to treat bronchitis, epilepsy, amniocentesis, mouth ulcers, asthma, and pneumonia. The benefits of Indian Acalypha are seen in cases of scabies, dermatitis, and other skin infections. A remedy made from flower buds is also seen as a remedy for headaches.
Traditionally, Indian Acalypha is used to treat unwanted hair growth and skin problems such as pimples, psoriasis, eczema, cold coughs, and to treat intestinal worms.
Indian Acalypha roots are used in traditional medicine to treat many ailments like gonorrhea, diarrhea, dysentery, chest pain, ear infections, and injuries. Root decoction is used in some parts of Africa to treat stomach aches and to remove intestinal worms. Root decoction is also used to treat diabetes and fever and is also used as a laxative.
The chemical substance in Kuppaimeni / Acalypha indica
- Bio robin
- Acalypha Mide
Different regional names of Indian Acalypha
- English: Indian Battle, Indian Acalypha
- Hindi: Kuppikoko, kholali
- Sanskrit: Harita Manjari
- Telugu: kuppi chettu, Murkonda
- Marathi: khajotia
- Malayalam: Kuppaimeni, Kuppi
- Bengali: Mukta Jhuri
- Tamil: Kuppaimeni keerai
- Others: Indian Mercury, India copperleaf, Three-seeded mercury.
Scientific classification of Acalypha indica
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Clade: Tracheophytes
- Order: Malpighiales
- Family: Euphorbiaceae
- Subtribe: Acalyphinae
- Genus: Acalypha
- Species: A.indica
- Scientific Name: Acalypha indica
Benefits of Acalypha Indica
1. Anti-inflammatory properties:
Indian Acalypha herb has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. When these plants are used externally, they can reduce inflammation very effectively. This plant is usually used as a poultice to get the benefits of it. It heals injuries as well as reduces inflammation quickly.
2. Analgesic properties:
Kuppaimeni plant has analgesic properties. This herbal remedy is very effective in reducing toxins. In many villages, the paste of this plant is used as a poultice on wounds as it helps in reducing both inflammation and pain.
3. Anthelmintic properties:
Kuppaimeni plant has anthelmintic properties. Traditionally; the juice or decoction made of Indian Acalypha leaf is consumed to get rid of intestinal worms. Research has proven the uses of this herb.
4. Antibacterial properties:
The mentioned plant has both antifungal and antibacterial properties which makes it one of the best remedies for skin problems. Kuppaimeni oil can be prepared and used to treat many skin problems like bronchitis, eczema etc. Indian Acalypha powder can be used in face packs for the treatment of various skin problems.
5. Anti venom properties:
Another amazing medicinal use of Kuppaimeni is as anti-toxic properties. Extraction of the leaves of the plant effectively kills the venom of Russell Vipers. The leaves are usually boiled in water and given to people who are bitten by the Russel Viper.
6. Wound Healing Capacity:
Indian Acalypha is used to treat wound injuries. This plant is very popular as a wound healer. As it grows abundantly all over the land, just applying the poultice of leaves on the wound helps in quick healing.
7. Anti-ulcer properties:
The extraction of Indian Acalypha has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. The use of this plant’s extract has been shown to significantly reduce ulceration, gastric emptying and HDT.
8. Anti-diabetic properties:
The Indian Acalypha plant has anti-diabetic properties. Indian Acalypha herb can help lower blood sugar levels and significantly inhibit sugar spikes. Therefore, this herb is good for diabetics.
9. Larvicidal and Ovicidal properties:
Indian Acalypha leaf extraction has been shown to be effective against malaria, which in turn causes mosquito Anopheles stephensi. Extraction of this plant’s leaves can be used as an effective mosquito repellant spray.
10. Antioxidant properties:
Indian Acalypha plant has antioxidant properties. Extract of this herbal plant helps to remove free radicals from the human body which causes premature ageing.
Traditional Uses of Indian Acalypha
- The benefits and uses of Kuppaimeni can be seen in the treatment of arthritis and gout.
- This herb is used in folk medicine to control vomiting.
- In traditional Austrian medicine, this herb is used internally for the treatment of urinary tract, kidney problems, locomotor system, gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system, haemorrhage, gout, rheumatism, skin problem, flu etc.
- Extraction of the leaves of Kuppaimeni plant helps in controlling glycaemic level in people having type-2 Diabetes.
- Rubbing the fresh leaves of Kuppikoko plant on the skin effectively treats Rheumatism.
- Infusion of fresh leaves of Indian Acalypha plant can heal burns quickly and relieve toxins.
- Extraction of medicinal leaves of Kuppaimeni is used as an antidote to snake venom.
- These leaves are also used to make homeopathic remedies.
- Traditionally; this herb is also used as an effective treatment of cancer.
- This herb reduces the risk of respiratory diseases like bronchitis, cough, asthma, chest congestion, tuberculosis, etc.
Uses of Acalypha indica
The whole Kuppikoko plant is used for medicinal purposes in different ways as cures, extracts, decoctions, infusions, and pastes for the treatment of various diseases or health issues.
Side effects of Indian Acalypha / Acalypha indica
- The toxicity of India Acalypha is very low. A study on rats proves that the leaves of this plant have the lowest toxicity. Following are some of its side effects on the human body:
- People with glucose-6 phosphate dehydrogenase problems should avoid consuming the Kuppikoko plant in any form as this can lead to hemolysis.
- Kuppikoko plant has anti-infertility properties. Therefore, people who are planning for pregnancy should avoid taking this herb.
Due to the medicinal benefits of Indian Acalypha, it should be used in the right amount on a regular basis as excessive use of any medicinal herb can be harmful to health. Although this herb works as an antidote for many diseases, it is suggested to consult a physician before taking it as medicine for any health problem.
With this article, you will surely get acquainted with the Indian Acalypha herbal plant. The article leads you to the benefits, uses, chemicals, different linguistic names, disadvantages, and other qualities of Indian Acalypha. We hope that the information contained in this article will help you in various ways. Thank You!